Thursday, March 5, 2009

Long way gone post #5

Quote "Are you familiar with the city?" Uncle asked
"Not really" Said by Ishmael and Uncle on page 182
Significance: Ishmael has been out of touch with the city for so long and he is finally starting to get back into civil life. Its also showing that Ishmael is going to start healing.
Connection: I have felt this way when I've been away from my home for a week or two, and when I get back im sort of unfamiliar with my home surroundings and the city I left. Its like you have forgotten where your from and adapted to your surroundings
Question: How do you think Ishmael will rehabilitate himself with his Aunt and Uncle?

Quote: "My conception of new york city came from rap music" Said by Ishmael on page 193
Significance: The perceptions of what people think of america around the world is all different for every person. When he explained how he thought New York was a gang city, it shows that music has an influence on what people think.
Connection: If I hear a song thats about something then I automatically think that what the song is about must be true, even though it might not be.
Question:Do you think that Ishmaels opinions on America will change? how so?

2 comments:

Camille said...

Quote #1: I agree that Ishmael has been so out of touch with a city his whole life and then for this long time so he can't really be familiar with any city anymore. It's the same with me, when I go somewhere for a trip and the place I go is very different than my home, I am not used to being in a city or my home when I get back.
Question #1: I think that since Ishmael will be with family, he will get used to it quickly but he won't be so familiar with it.
Quote #2: I like this quote too because he his comparing what he thought of New York from the songs and now what he actually sees of New York. In music it's easy to think of things as they are sung about in the song but everyone visualizes things differently when they listen to music so it's easy to think of things differently than they actually are.
Question #2: Since Ishmael has not been in America very long, I think that once he really gets use to New York, he will change his opinions, or he might stick his his opinion that he has had for a long time.

Michael said...

Quote #1: I do not really understand how this relates to future events but maybe it shows that Ishmael has been so isolated from the city, he has forgot about it completely.

Question #1: I think because his aunt and uncle are nice, they will try all they can to get all the bad thoughts out of his head.

Quote #2: I think almost every teenagers conception or expectation of New York City came from rap music because of how many famous rap artists who came from there. I think that America is most known for our technology and pop culture and one of those things that is appealing to children from both 1st world and 3rd world countries is rap music.

Question #2: Well, because he is in America, I don't think it will change as much as it has already.