Monday, February 16, 2009

From Haven to Home reflection

Part 1: From Haven to Home

The purpose of this exhibit was to learn about the Jewish impact in history and in America, and how the Jews saw America as a haven at first and then a home. I learned that Jewish people came to Amsterdam in 1654, but they were denied by the governor. During the establishment of America, the 2,000 Jews that lived in America were protected by the first amendment. In the civil war, it’s estimated that 9,000 Jews fought for the Union and 3,000 for the Confederacy.

Starting in 1880, Millions of Jewish people came from Russia, Rumania, Austria, and Hungary to live in America, mostly to be free from religious control. During the great depression, the Jewish people in Germany were blamed for the economic crisis, and fled to America when Hitler and the Nazi’s started the Holocaust.

A few interesting things I learned was that there are synagogues where every one of any religious beliefs are welcome. There are also synagogues that meet the needs of gay people and feminists. I thought it was interesting how there are many beliefs of Judaism, and different Jews believe in different things.

Part 2: Children of immigrants

The photograph I chose was a scared little boy being fingerprinted at the airport. I chose this picture because it shows that moving to a new country can be nerve-wracking to anyone.

The quote I chose said “Home is a place to protect my family and me. A place to sleep, eat, study and take a bath. Also the sweetest and softest place I’ve ever been in.” I chose this quote because it shows how your home is the only place you can feel comfortable and be free. I think the same could be applied to your country too.

The essay I read was about a boy’s mother who was born and raised in Vietnam. When the boy was young, he and his mother lived in a dangerous and poor area of town, and he explains how many people thought he would never get a proper education or live a good life because of his poor background. But he ends up going to a good school and pursues a good job. This story shows me that immigrants might have a harder time settling into the country because of all the trouble they have to go through to get to America.

No comments: