Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Journal #4- Chapters 10-11 From the perspective of Jem

I was sure that Atticus could never do something a normal father could do. Me and Scout always have to go out on our own to have fun because Atticus never comes. Today, When Tim Johnson was inconspicuously following us, I was afraid he would put us into peril and hurt us because Atticus couldn't do anything to protect us. But when Heck Tate didn't want to shoot the dog when he came into town and Atticus did, I was confused he was just showing off because Atticus never does that. Instead he took Heck Tate's gun and shot it square in the face. It was then I knew that Atticus was much different than other fathers, but he could still do things normal fathers could do. He just didn't brag about it.
I thought the next day would be a simple one, where me and Scout just go to the town without anything being cantankerous. But whenever we had to go to town, we always had to pass by Ms. Dubose's house. She always criticized us for things we couldn't control. We were just being ourselves, minding our own business and she could always find something wrong. Sometimes she yelled so much her voice was inaudible. This time when we passed her house, She insulted Atticus, which is something I can't take, especially from other adults. On the way back from town, I was still so angry I took Scout's new favorite toy and used it to wreck her plants. I didn't care if It was new, and I didn't care if she was a poor old lady. It made me feel much better to ruin her flowers. But if I knew my consequences, I wouldn't have done it in the first place. I have to read a story I can barely understand to Ms. Dubose for two hours. I don't know why Scout comes with me. I thought Scout was too scared of her and still angry at me for breaking her baton. But I guess I apologized by helping her up. She never contradicts me anyway. After a few months, Ms. Dubose died. I thought she was going to haunt me forever because she sent me a flower before she died, but Atticus thinks it was her way of forgiving me.

No comments: