Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Journal #5- Chapters 12-14 From the perspective of Calpurnia

I was excited to take Scout and Jem to my church. I doubt they've been around this many colored folks in their life. I was happy to see everybody welcome them as if they've been going to the church their whole lives. However, only one person had not been as welcoming, but that didn't matter. First Purchase church was not very ecclesiastical because we didn't have any money to acquire these things. I know that many of them know I work for a white family, and some of them may think that I'm educated so I need to talk like the rest of them so I don't feel any different or I don't get treated any differently. Since Tom Robinson was Atticus's defendant, I think that there should be no problem with acceptance.
I think Alexandra needs to know that Atticus, Scout and Jem consider me a member of the house hold. I am used to the talk about segregation and Tom Robinson's case. This family would not have gone far after the death of Atticus's wife, Scout and Jem's mother, if I wasn't there to help them out. I think that Alexandra has too many big ideas for this family that is fine as it is right now. She wants to begrudge the freedom that Atticus has set up for Jem and Scout. These kids should not be encumbered by her.

No comments: